Sunday, 11 September 2011

Blog One - Singing & Playing Guitar

Welcome to Semester Two:
Singing and playing guitar is a form of play that allows me to creatively express myself. When I first think of this activity the words ‘relaxation’ and ‘enjoyment’ spring to mind. I feel so relaxed when I do this activity that I can sometimes play and sing until my voice goes hoarse. I love the creative license of moulding other artist’s songs, in doing so making them my own. Unfortunately no artist would be proud of my guitaring, as my skills have stagnated over the past 10 or so years!
Performing is one way I can communicate with others without actually directly speaking to them. Regardless of the fact that my voice or guitaring might sound a bit rough at times, I have always had positive experiences when performing.  I think that people are so receptive to the music I play as they appreciate the challenges associated with getting up in front of a group of people and singing. The voice is a very fickle instrument and without practise, care and fine tuning, it can sound very rusty. When I’m performing I can see people’s appreciation by their body language – smiles, clapping or tapping a foot, or some make an effort to come over and give positive feedback. Although there is always an element of nervous anticipation, I get a buzz out of performing and enjoy having the ability to give others enjoyment in that moment.
The task of playing and singing for two hours each week over nine weeks, is a challenge that I am willing to accept. Mindful practise is a good reason to stop watching ‘Shortland Street’ and do something that I find productive and enjoyable. This is also a good excuse to stop ‘cramming’ in practise the night before a gig!
And so it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment